Thursday, March 24, 2011

Bondi Beach Bum

Saturday 12 March
Bondi Beach (This is not just because of the surf comp. It's always really packed. )
     Today there was a surf competition at Bondi beach (this is a really famous and popular beach), so my friends and I decided to go check it out. We started off the day early by catching the 9 o'clock ferry. Then we had to get a bus ticket to Bondi. It took about 45 minutes to get there from Sydney and once we were almost there the boys in front of us told us there would be a bunch of free stuff from the sponsors (that was the sole reason they were going.) And they were right. We got free hats, a t-shirt, ice cream, and snow cones. A couple of my friends also got those blow up plastic guitars.

     It wasn't just the free stuff that was great, but the beach was b-e-a-u-tiful! It was huge, and the sand was so fine it was like powdered sugar, and the water was crystal clear! I went into the water for a bit but the current was ridiculous. I think the farthest I went was up to my knees and I was still getting dragged way out. So most of the day I just laid-out and watched the competition.
"Stud-muffin" surfer as my friend Lauren would say.
       It was so cool to see a real competition. Having tried to surf, I know it is not easy, but boy did these guys make it look like it was. They were doing tricks and turns and all sorts of other cool looking things.
    After we had been at the beach for a while we went to lunch, did some shopping, and then went for a walk over the tide-pools.

No comments: