Monday 14 February
I just want to make note quick that Valentine's day is not a big deal here at all. I was extremely surprised there were no decorations, there wasn't even a special dessert at dinner. My teacher did say Happy Valentine's day but only remember because he heard it on the radio driving in.
(Happy Valentine's Day!... Now get to class.)
I started off my Valentine's by getting up at 6 am. Yes 6 AM! I had to get ready and put on my suit, since it is business attire between 8 and 5:30.
| Traditional first day of school picture for mom! |
I went to breakfast and then went to Student Services because I checked my timetable, and everything had disappeared. I found out they weren't opening until 9 so I went back then, and got my it all worked out, and got all my classes 25 minutes before my first one was to start. I got to my first lecture (distribution decisions) at 10am and went until 12n then had a quick lunch and was back for my 12n- 2pm tutorial (distribution decisions). My week pretty much continued in this fashion.
Tuesday 15 February
Event management project lecture 8am-12pm
Wednesday 16 February
Strategic management lecture 10am-12n
Went to talk to my counselor and dropped my tuesday class. Added a class (Intro to event management ) for Monday 8am-10am and Tuesday 2pm-4pm.
Event promotion and sponsorship lecture 3pm-7pm
Thursday 17 February
No class. I slept in late and spent the day at the beach!
Friday 18 February
Strategic Management Tutorial 1pm-3pm
I talked to the teacher after and switched this one to Wednesday morning 8am-10am. My weekends start Wednesday night! =]
So after all of the changes I made here is my timetable:
Monday: 8am-2pm
Tuesday: 2pm-4pm
Wednesday: 8am- 12n and 3pm-7pm
There are also a few things I want to share about my first experience with australian schooling.
- They call high school, college. And college (where I am now) is called uni.
- The classes here are all in blocks of 2 hours. However, the classes don't actually start until 15 past and end at the 45. So really they're an hour and a half.
- There are usually 2 parts to each class; a lecture and tutorial. The tutorial is usually small group work and case studies to better understand the material.
- Their paper is skinnier and longer. It doesn't fit all the way in my folders, and its becoming an issue.
- Their grades are wacky! They don't use the standard A-F scale. Here is their grading scale:
HD- High Distinction 85-100% 4.0
D- Distinction 70- 84% 4.0
C- Credit 65- 74% 3.0
P- Pass 50- 64% 2.0
--------------------------------------------Passing Grades Above Line-------------------------------------------
PC- Conceded Pass 45- 49% 0.0
F- Fail 0- 44% 0.0
So remember if I say I got a D that is a GOOD THING! If I say I got and HD I expect a party when I get home, because this is nearly impossible, especially for foreign students!!! I'm told if I get this then I should be able to teach the class.
1 comment:
The picture of you in your uniform is soooo cute Dani!!!
Post a Comment